The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Short-term insurance - how to own a car for a month?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 am 
Club Member

Model: 1982 924 2.0 na
I wanted to see if anyone had a good solution to a problem I’m facing. I’ve been given a car - an 06 Honda Jazz with 64k on it in fact. It needs some minor work and has been sat a while, so rather than pay out and then have to privately sell the car, the owner (not a car person at all) said if I can get it it’s mine.

There are two weeks of MOT left on in, and it’s around 100 miles away SORN without anyone insured on it. Question is, how do I get it back?! I’ll need to take it for an MOT shortly after so paying for a trailer service doesn’t seem sensible. I looked at insurance for the year and it looks like I’d need a monthly payment option with a low cancellation fee set up and then almost immediately cancelled. This is a faf, and looks like it will still cost close to £100.

Short-term insurance companies want more than £200 to insure for 28 days :lol:

I’ve not called either of my current insurers to see if they do this sort of thing, is it common? I don’t want to affect my current policy as they’re :x: for charging for changes and saying I’m driving another car could probably land me with a £35 alteration charge!

Anyway, I thought I would come and ask a group of people who probably move and sell on enough cars to have solved this one before.

Any advice gratefully received :beer: you can have first dibs on whatever I find in the boot and cup-holders...

Post subject: Re: Short-term insurance - how to own a car for a month?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:09 am 
Regional Officer - The South East

Model: 924 red 1981
If you can’t get it back within the valid mot time and you’re happy its not going to fail on anything dangerous you could book it in for an mot close to home and drive it back the 100 miles on the way, with confirmation of the mot booking on you for proof. Theres nothing to say you have to get the mot done at your closest garage.

Im sure there are insurance companies who insure by the day, eg If I didn’t have insurance but wanted to test drive a car for sale? Sorry if obvious but have you tried googling one day car insurance cover?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:33 am 
Club Member

Model: 924S
richardb wrote:
If you can’t get it back within the valid mot time and you’re happy its not going to fail on anything dangerous you could book it in for an mot close to home and drive it back the 100 miles on the way, with confirmation of the mot booking on you for proof. Theres nothing to say you have to get the mot done at your closest garage.

Highly risky. There certainly was wording to this effect a few years ago to stop people doing just that

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:45 pm 
Club Member

Model: Supercharged 924
Nige wrote:
richardb wrote:

Highly risky. There certainly was wording to this effect a few years ago to stop people doing just that

Can you post it up Nige? I’ve looked extensively and couldn’t find anything to that effect. I intentionally booked a MOT near my brothers to give the car a run before the MOT when it had be later up for a a few years as no doubt these cars need use and brakes and emissions unlikely to be in spec after a 100yrd drive (that was closest MOT station at the time). I always had insurance, but obviously you can’t tax without an MOT so that had to wait until the MOT was completed.

924T engine with Eaton M90 Supercharger (DB7), 565cc injectors, coil pack ignition, Adaptronic ECU, Custom Air/water charge cooler, Wideband O2 + 4x EGT. 4pot Brembos, Spax adjustable dampers. 951 G'box with LSD & cooler, 944T style bumper. HID Lo-Pro headlights. 968 mirrors, handles + spoiler. Zender rear valance. Custom side skirts, Forged 17" wheels (8J front, 9J rear). Custom hubs (5x114.3 PCD), Twin circuit coolant re-route (2 pumps, 2 'stats, 2 radiators), 6 gauge centre console.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:38 am 
Club Member

That would be interesting as it’s an option if legal.

Having done loads of short-term insurer comparisons I’ve found 14days cover for £85 which is about the same as setting up a full policy and then cancelling, but without all the hassle. Still would flatten any profit if ‘flipping’ a car if buying and selling witching the (10?) cars a year ownership limit that we all have.

It will mean I can put a few miles on it and see what might need attention too, although I’m confident the Jazz would pass if I took it straight to MOT as it’s main-dealer serviced and 64k miles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 am 
Club Member

Model: 924S
DrJohn wrote:
Nige wrote:
richardb wrote:

Can you post it up Nige? I’ve looked extensively and couldn’t find anything to that effect. I intentionally booked a MOT near my brothers to give the car a run before the MOT when it had be later up for a a few years as no doubt these cars need use and brakes and emissions unlikely to be in spec after a 100yrd drive (that was closest MOT station at the time). I always had insurance, but obviously you can’t tax without an MOT so that had to wait until the MOT was completed.

I'm going back to the days when I built my Westfield and I looked into this quite closely. Today it appears that there is no legal requirement to book in to the nearest station.
But there are other associated issues and common sense should prevail:

1. If your car has a fault and you're stopped you are liable to prosecution - the Police won't be sympathetic if your MOT booking is 100 miles away, even if it isn't illegal.
2. As soon as you park anywhere (coffee/toilet break) you're committing an offence.
3. Your insurance company would be justified in questioning why the RTC that your un-MOTed vehicle was involved in was 100 miles from the MOT station you were driving to, especially if a subsequent investigation showed significant defects.
4. ANPR is everywhere so your car will be recorded on may occasions during the journey - expect something in the post!

I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few hundred quid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:26 pm 
Regional Officer - The South East

Model: 924 red 1981
I agree with Nige, and I most probably wouldn't do it myself, I was just offering it as an option that I know other less risk averse people have done on other car forums.

My guess would be that ANPR is going to ping up cars that have no insurance, and then if that car didn't have MOT/tax that would be further trouble. If you're insured and you know the car isn't obviously dangerous/unroadworthy, and you've got proof of a booked MOT and you stay off of motorways, town centres and other major infrastructure like tunnels/toll bridges that would be covered with cameras you're probably* ok. But I wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:40 pm 
Club Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I found ‘insuredaily.co.uk’ and got cover for one week for £55. Car is now back safely and passed it’s MOT yesterday so now I just have to find it a new home ASAP :hope:

Think their rates for a single day were £14, so a no-brainier to avoid any legal issues collecting or even test-driving a car in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 am 
Club Member

Model: 924 na
Just for the record on driving to an MOT station without an MOT.

Whilst the mileage isn't a direct factor, the purpose of the journey is.

You have to drive solely for the purpose of obtaining an MOT, a court has agreed that a small deviation for petrol is acceptable and that might extend to driver breaks.

However, if there is any element of the journey that is not for the MOT, however small, then that makes the journey ineligible for the exemption.

If you pick a car up from a distance and it is booked to an MOT station near your home, clearly part of the purpose of the journey is to transport the vehicle home and that would be illegal.

If you take a car an extended distance to your mate Geoff's MOT station then part of the purpose could be classed as social, you would have to prove otherwise.

Even if after a successful MOT if you do not head straight back home and instead visit a castle then that could be used to show the journey was not purely for an MOT, again you would have to try and prove otherwise.

Basically, the more miles you do, the more the burden of proof lies with you to show the journey was purely for an MOT.

Similar rules apply to the use of trade plates, the journey must be 100% for use in connection with the business purpose.

1982 Garnet Red n/a manual - Project XLE (463 licensed, 1519 sorn'd)
1983 White n/a manual - Mr White Returns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:32 am 
Club Member

Model: Supercharged 924
Thanks Andy. That's really very useful info and clarifies the point very well. I wouldn't want anyone thinking we condone illegal road use as a club, so its great to have the clarification. I can breathe a sigh of relief since I didn't break any of those rules! Its just much easier to keep paying the tax and use it more often!! :nod:

Alas, it looks like this again ..... :oops:

Attachments:
B3A68992-4E24-403B-8014-160DEB977703.jpeg
B3A68992-4E24-403B-8014-160DEB977703.jpeg [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 1962 times ]

924T engine with Eaton M90 Supercharger (DB7), 565cc injectors, coil pack ignition, Adaptronic ECU, Custom Air/water charge cooler, Wideband O2 + 4x EGT. 4pot Brembos, Spax adjustable dampers. 951 G'box with LSD & cooler, 944T style bumper. HID Lo-Pro headlights. 968 mirrors, handles + spoiler. Zender rear valance. Custom side skirts, Forged 17" wheels (8J front, 9J rear). Custom hubs (5x114.3 PCD), Twin circuit coolant re-route (2 pumps, 2 'stats, 2 radiators), 6 gauge centre console.