The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
Forty Years of the Porsche 924 Turbo
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:14 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Posts: 4867
Location: Penzance, Cornwall
Model: 924
GAZ haven’t yet confirmed if they can supply. They couldn’t give me an answer on the phone and still haven’t got back to me with potential availability. Although they stare they only do adjustables, if they are that cheap, I’ll have a pair!

_________________
1986 924S. Needing love but, back on the road and loving it!
1986 928 S2 Long term project. Been in storage, needs full recommissioning.
1981 2.0 N/A. Still not running and I’ve had it for months!
1979 Mercedes 450SLC
1955 Land Rover Series 1 107 pick up
1981 VW T25 camper. ‘The nail’ very slow diesel burner.
1991 Toyota Celica. At £182, too cheap to refuse....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 pm
Posts: 15057
Location: Somerset
Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
mike.gamble wrote:
I can’t get GAZ ones for an S/944!!
They list them but, when checked, the lower mounts are wrong - they’re listing the NA shocks as suitable for the later cars.....


Did you call GAZ or their vendor? GAZ make bespoke for ANY fitment. I know of several turbos, S and 944’s with GAZ both regular shocks and coil overs. I’m very surprised they cannot he made to fit. It’s only a generic sized rubber bush and bolt sleeve that slots into a generic sized shock mount. Nothing specialised.

As for not needing adjustables, I have not touched the adjustment since setting up last time circa 4yrs ago. But at least they were adjustable for the best set up for my car and taste.

_________________
Steve
1980 924 Turbo Series 1 - Alpine White & Guards Red
Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD
2017 VW Passat Variant GTE Advance - the daily load lugger and mile muncher
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - it builds trees when we drive it


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Posts: 4867
Location: Penzance, Cornwall
Model: 924
Steve, my bad!
I’ve edited since you replied - see above.

GAZ said they could for a 924 but, when I specified the S/944, there seemed some doubt?
I have emailed them and they have half replied re only doing adjustables but, didn’t give me availability or price. I have emailed them again pushing them for more info.

_________________
1986 924S. Needing love but, back on the road and loving it!
1986 928 S2 Long term project. Been in storage, needs full recommissioning.
1981 2.0 N/A. Still not running and I’ve had it for months!
1979 Mercedes 450SLC
1955 Land Rover Series 1 107 pick up
1981 VW T25 camper. ‘The nail’ very slow diesel burner.
1991 Toyota Celica. At £182, too cheap to refuse....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 3795
Location: Whitehaven
Model: 1984 924 2.0 n/a
How about you buy some n/a sachs shocks and get some bushes and 14mm sleeves?

_________________
1984 924 2.0 n/a crystal Green - The daily
2005 VW Passat tdi 130 Highline, now 170bhp & 290ft/lb
2009 Ford Focus ST, didn't stay standard for long


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:56 pm
Posts: 2664
Model: 924S
Carrera RSR wrote:
mike.gamble wrote:
I can’t get GAZ ones for an S/944!!
They list them but, when checked, the lower mounts are wrong - they’re listing the NA shocks as suitable for the later cars.....


Did you call GAZ or their vendor? GAZ make bespoke for ANY fitment. I know of several turbos, S and 944’s with GAZ both regular shocks and coil overs. I’m very surprised they cannot he made to fit. It’s only a generic sized rubber bush and bolt sleeve that slots into a generic sized shock mount. Nothing specialised.

As for not needing adjustables, I have not touched the adjustment since setting up last time circa 4yrs ago. But at least they were adjustable for the best set up for my car and taste.


What he said, the main advantage with adjustables is you buy them once, if the ride is too soft then you adjust them to the correct point and then you can leave them. If you buy fixed dampers then you get what you've bought.

As I said phone Gaz directly not one of their suppliers, I spoke to the owner directly and they will spec exactly what you ask for, tell them what sort of ride you want and they will match the spring rates and dampers accordingly.

_________________
Current progress on the S https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21946

1987 924S
1981 924 2.0 n/a
2016 BMW 640D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayenne


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Posts: 4867
Location: Penzance, Cornwall
Model: 924
JeremyB wrote:

As I said phone Gaz directly not one of their suppliers, I spoke to the owner directly and they will spec exactly what you ask for, tell them what sort of ride you want and they will match the spring rates and dampers accordingly.


I have phoned everyone!!!!

The data for the shocks which is supplied by some company that all the suppliers use is wrong. In light of this, everyone says they have the shocks then supplies the NA ones. I now have 3 sets of the ‘ right’ shocks - they’re all wrong!

Gents, I am desperate for a set of shocks as my car is on axle stands and not on the road - where it should be! If it was a simple as just phoning someone, my car would be on the road!
I genuinely have phoned EVERYONE from Porsche downwards with no joy. If someone can give me a number and a name to phone of someone who has a pair that will directly fit, I’ll phone them.

_________________
1986 924S. Needing love but, back on the road and loving it!
1986 928 S2 Long term project. Been in storage, needs full recommissioning.
1981 2.0 N/A. Still not running and I’ve had it for months!
1979 Mercedes 450SLC
1955 Land Rover Series 1 107 pick up
1981 VW T25 camper. ‘The nail’ very slow diesel burner.
1991 Toyota Celica. At £182, too cheap to refuse....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:56 pm
Posts: 2664
Model: 924S
mike.gamble wrote:
JeremyB wrote:

As I said phone Gaz directly not one of their suppliers, I spoke to the owner directly and they will spec exactly what you ask for, tell them what sort of ride you want and they will match the spring rates and dampers accordingly.


I have phoned everyone!!!!

The data for the shocks which is supplied by some company that all the suppliers use is wrong. In light of this, everyone says they have the shocks then supplies the NA ones. I now have 3 sets of the ‘ right’ shocks - they’re all wrong!

Gents, I am desperate for a set of shocks as my car is on axle stands and not on the road - where it should be! If it was a simple as just phoning someone, my car would be on the road!
I genuinely have phoned EVERYONE from Porsche downwards with no joy. If someone can give me a number and a name to phone of someone who has a pair that will directly fit, I’ll phone them.


I'm currently on holiday but happy to make a phonecall next week, i got sent the wrong bushes first time but as both I can assure you Gaz do make shocks for a 924S as i have them on my car, if we have to i'll see about jacking it up and removing the bottom top hat to confirm dimensions.

_________________
Current progress on the S https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21946

1987 924S
1981 924 2.0 n/a
2016 BMW 640D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayenne


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Posts: 4867
Location: Penzance, Cornwall
Model: 924
I have phoned GAZ and I’m still waiting for them to get back to me.
If they have them, I’ll be buying them but, I’ve been waiting the best part of a week for an answer and I have prodded them a few times.

_________________
1986 924S. Needing love but, back on the road and loving it!
1986 928 S2 Long term project. Been in storage, needs full recommissioning.
1981 2.0 N/A. Still not running and I’ve had it for months!
1979 Mercedes 450SLC
1955 Land Rover Series 1 107 pick up
1981 VW T25 camper. ‘The nail’ very slow diesel burner.
1991 Toyota Celica. At £182, too cheap to refuse....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 6092
Location: Athens , Greece
Model: 1988 924S
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-S- ... rk:23:pf:0

This chap seems to have sold lots of shocks etc yet he suggests that this set is suitable both for the 2.0lt ans the 2.5lt versions of the 924 ?? :eek:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Rear shocks for S/944 NLA. Options?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Posts: 4867
Location: Penzance, Cornwall
Model: 924
The rear mounts are wrong? Same as the ones I bought from the US.

I’m waiting for one more reply from Sachs then I will have a few more answers.

_________________
1986 924S. Needing love but, back on the road and loving it!
1986 928 S2 Long term project. Been in storage, needs full recommissioning.
1981 2.0 N/A. Still not running and I’ve had it for months!
1979 Mercedes 450SLC
1955 Land Rover Series 1 107 pick up
1981 VW T25 camper. ‘The nail’ very slow diesel burner.
1991 Toyota Celica. At £182, too cheap to refuse....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© 2009-2014 The Porsche 924 Owners Club - Powered by phpBB