Dedicated to the Porsche 924
Forty Years of the Porsche 924 Turbo
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 924 Turbo Prices
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:47 pm 

Model: 924 Turbo
Hello

I’m new here and having owned a couple of 944s in the past I am looking at getting into 924 ownership. After a lot of research I’ve decided that ideally I want to get a Turbo model.

I wanted to ask the opinions of forum members on the current 924 Turbo prices. Most that have come up for sale recently are priced from £15-20k. Has this always been the case or is this a recent increase? Is £15-20k reasonable for a well maintained ‘original’ car or one that has had a lot of parts recently renewed?

It would be great to hear your views on this.

Post subject: Re: 924 Turbo Prices
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:18 pm 
Club Member

Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
Can of worms ready to be opened......... :sweat:

UK v EU v SE may have differing opinions. Lets leave US out of this discussion...

Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD
2017 VW Passat Variant GTE Advance - the daily load lugger and mile muncher
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - it builds trees when we drive it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:23 pm 
Club Member

Best to look at bay, classic car sites pan Europe for understanding. Prices range from £3k to £35k. Quality of the car is not always represented by its asking price. I'd rather buy a car well used than a garage queen not used for 10yrs. Some of which are probably destined for some large recommissioning bills once the car gets some miles driven.

It may be easier to understand what you want from the ownership?

Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:23 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924 turbo
Its very market dependant, the prices in Sweden for example are much lower than in Germany, so for value for money buying one here is definitely cheaper. Its just that its very few that comes up for sale every year. There was an absolute minter out for sale last year and it struggled to sell for half of what the cars are up for sale at in Germany (dont know if they ever sell for those sums anyway)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 am 

Carrera RSR wrote:
Best to look at bay, classic car sites pan Europe for understanding. Prices range from £3k to £35k. Quality of the car is not always represented by its asking price. I'd rather buy a car well used than a garage queen not used for 10yrs. Some of which are probably destined for some large recommissioning bills once the car gets some miles driven.

It may be easier to understand what you want from the ownership?

I've been looking around for a while, prices in Germany and the UK seem to be similar and above 15k whether recommissioned or a 'barn find' like the one posted on here the other day. I haven't seen one for sale in Sweden in months so don't know what the price of a Turbo would be.

It will be a second car for me, using mainly at weekends and in the summer months. As you said, one that's been driven regularly and maintained is better than one that's been standing for years and then a recent belt change.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:31 am 

CedricN wrote:
Its very market dependant, the prices in Sweden for example are much lower than in Germany, so for value for money buying one here is definitely cheaper. Its just that its very few that comes up for sale every year. There was an absolute minter out for sale last year and it struggled to sell for half of what the cars are up for sale at in Germany (dont know if they ever sell for those sums anyway)

That is really interesting! I haven't seen any for sale here so I have no concept of the prices. 944s seem to be more expensive than the UK so I assumed a 924 Turbo would be as well. Other than blocket and looking at individual dealer sites - are there any other places to keep an eye on for cars like 924s?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 pm 

Model: 924 Turbo S2
Mine will be on sale soon once I can get time to fix some of it's niggles... (rear bearing, brake lines and a service)

I definately comes under Steve's description of "well used" :whistle: but it's mostly original....

2014 Mini Cooper - Hers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:13 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924 turbo
EngSwe924 wrote:
CedricN wrote:

That is really interesting! I haven't seen any for sale here so I have no concept of the prices. 944s seem to be more expensive than the UK so I assumed a 924 Turbo would be as well. Other than blocket and looking at individual dealer sites - are there any other places to keep an eye on for cars like 924s?

If you keep a saved search on blocket you will see a couple during the year. There were another min condition one for sale at ca 8k £, that one went withing ours. So sometimes it could be good to be fast, although more people are realizing they are worth money, so less bargains to be made.

Otherwise cars can be found at the swedish transaxle board 944sverige.com, however its been down for half a year and they struggle to get it running again. The swedish porsche club has their own for sale site which can have some cars aswell. But remember these are pretty rare cars, it can take some time to find one locally.

The 911 market have softened alot recently, i wonder if that will be the case with 931 aswell..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 pm 
Club Member

There may be bargains to be had in the UK soon. The iceberg impact is almost upon us. Sinking will be soon be a reality ..........

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 am 
Club Member

Model: 931
EngSwe924 wrote:
CedricN wrote:

I got a 931 last summer in Sweden with a broken engine.(imported to Denmark).

The engine rebuild is done now, and the car is actually still on swedish reg. papers - maybe it could be of interest for you?

It is a 1979 silver with red/blue tartan interior, close to original.

The interior would like some love(drivers seat is with a broken seam and the red colour of the tartan is faded).

The car could also use a respray, it is not very bad, but it is "used" :grin:

The good things: Rebuild engine, new valve guides, seals, piston rings - nice and clean.

Good strong gearbox - actually possible to do down shifting without grinding(new installed gear shifter bushings).

But I have to may projects, so...