Post subject: Bomber County Run 4 29th-30th May
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm 
Committee - Events Co-ordinator

Model: 924 N/A
Attachment:
just jane turbo.jpg
just jane turbo.jpg [ 100.2 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]
What is it?

Like aviation? Like WW2 history? Love driving your 924 on pretty, twisty, quiet roads? This is the event for you!

Lincolnshire is dotted with RAF bases. From abandoned relics to active stations the county is full of aviation history. Bomber County Run was Ed's first ever event and has grown from strength to strength each year.

Now in the 4th running, we are going to have two driving days. Join us for either or, ideally both.

Day 1

Starting just outside the county at the Alpine Cafe near Melton Mowbray, we will tour the South, taking in Bourne and the old BRM F1 works on the way. We will stop at the BRM factory for a photo opportunity.

As we enter the afternoon, we will stop at Coningsby Airbase and have a guided tour the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's hangar. Get up close and personal to all your favourite, flight-ready warbirds. Very often the tour guides are ex-RAF pilots who do love a good story! Oh, and Friday happens to be the day they do test flights of the planes ready for the weekend's display. If you've not stood a handful of metres away from a Merlin engine starting up, you've not lived!

We will then travel on to the RAF Woodhall Spa where we have exclusive access to the site and can walk the haunting abandoned runway.

In the evening, I'll book a table at the Bluebell in Tatershall, a pub famous for being the favourite haunt of the local bomber crew. If you can name bomber pilots and crew, they've got drunk here! The place is full of historical artefacts and a fantastic place to end the day.

Day 2

We will begin the day at the Petwood Hotel where we will have breakfast in the Squadron Bar. The Petwood is was used as an officer's mess during the war and that bar is like a small museum!

From there we'll proceed to the Bomber Command Centre. Here there is a small but perfectly judged museum overlooking the historic city of Lincoln. The memorial gardens have the names of all lost bomber crew enscribed upon the walls and a huge spire that frames the ancient cathedral.

After our stop here we will then tour the north of the county, passing more RAF bases. As we then pass through the pretty and twisty Wolds, you'll wonder why more people don't know about the area (answer: we like to keep it a secret so we have it all to ourselves).
Attachment:
archie chocks away!.jpg
archie chocks away!.jpg [ 118.39 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

We will end our journey at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Museum. Here we will get the chance to park near Just Jane, a Lancaster in taxiable condition. This museum is a little gem, a time capsule of what a Bomber Base would have looked like in period.
Attachment:
Avro-Lancaster-“Just-Jane”-copy.jpeg
Avro-Lancaster-“Just-Jane”-copy.jpeg [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

When?

29th and 30th May. You can join for either or both days.

Costs?

The standard entry costs for the museums should be discounted, depending upon numbers. Breakfasts and meals will carry additional charges, which I'll advise closer to the time. A full rally plaque and briefing pack will be given to each entrant. A trophy will be given for the best photo of the weekend, which will be yours to keep until the next BCR.

Staying over

There are lots of options locally as Lincoln is close by to the end points both days. If you want the full experience then the Petwood hotel is a lovely place to stay.

How to book

Let Ed know below or email him at events@porsche924.co.uk

Attendees

Mylando
Dr John
Bretongirl
Krautrock
Althejazzman
Bill Limbrick

Attachments:
petwood.jpeg
petwood.jpeg [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

Ed

My project thread ARCHIE: https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17923
 Post subject: Re: Bomber County Run 4 29th-30th May
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm 
Club Member

Model: '84 NA
Definitely up for at least one day of this. If we're Lincolnshire residents by then I might even make it to both.

Big thanks to Ed for organising this and and all the other exciting events that have appeared over the last couple of days!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 pm 
Committee Member

Model: 924
Im definately attending. Heard good reports about past ones

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 am 
Club Member

Model: Supercharged 924
Desperate to attend this again!

Short of something important coming up (not to jinks it but that probably only includes my own demise!) I’d love to attend both days.

It’s in the diary! :party: :woohoo:

924T engine with Eaton M90 Supercharger (DB7), 565cc injectors, coil pack ignition, Adaptronic ECU, Custom Air/water charge cooler, Wideband O2 + 4x EGT. 4pot Brembos, Spax adjustable dampers. 951 G'box with LSD & cooler, 944T style bumper. HID Lo-Pro headlights. 968 mirrors, handles + spoiler. Zender rear valance. Custom side skirts, Forged 17" wheels (8J front, 9J rear). Custom hubs (5x114.3 PCD), Twin circuit coolant re-route (2 pumps, 2 'stats, 2 radiators), 6 gauge centre console.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm 
Committee Member

Model: '83 924 / '80 931
Can I just check that the dates are correct, for a Friday and a Saturday? Either way I'm in, as I've heard enough good things about this event that I know I must attend this year!

'01 Vauxhall Combo constantly evolving, modified van for working / camping / band duties

Computer Problems: At your WITS End? http://www.witscomputers.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:18 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924S
Now that Ruby and I are relocating to the UK, I will do my utmost to attend this year! Just need to get her through a UK MOT and re-imported into the UK, hopefully back on her old plates. Unfortunately, as I am finding with my Saab estate, not as easy as the lady at DVLA said it was going to be!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:09 pm 
Club Member

I am starting to look at accommodation. Has anyone booked anywhere yet? My thoughts are to book one night near Melton Mowbray and then two nights around the Woodhall Spa area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:15 pm 
Committee - Events Co-ordinator

Model: 924 N/A
Some are booking for Petwood on Friday and Saturday. If not there are several hotels near Woodhall Spa.

Ed

My project thread ARCHIE: https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17923

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 pm 
Club Member

Right, accommodation booked. One night in an Airbnb near Melton Mowbray and two nights in a B&B near Horncastle. Ruby has her UK MOT tomorrow, so everything crossed!

Update - she passed with flying colours! Just having a couple of fuel pipes, pump and filter replaced and she will be ready to go!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:18 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924 turbo
I'm planning to join on the Saturday, for breakfast and onwards :grin:

1980 S1 Porsche 924 Turbo - Inari Silver/Onyx Green with Brown Pasha (resto project)
1982 S2 Porsche 924 Turbo - Surinam Red with Brown Berber
1980 Porsche 928S
1965 VW Beetle
1993 Renault Clio Williams