It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 924 vs 924S - reliability and maintenance cost
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm 
Club Member

Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
Lockguard wrote:
CedricN wrote:
There are much fewer to chose from, but they are probably much cheaper here in Sweden. I guess you have looked at that already.

For me im an iron block guy in this case, the extra complexity (some weak points like rod bearing nr2 etc) and costs related to the 2.5 is not worth it for the little performance increase . The 2.0 sounds better aswell, is very robust and lighter. Cheap to run if you don't buy a wreck which need all new kjet stuff. For daily driving an S would maybe be a better choice, they are newer and often better condition.

2.0 with a performance cam to get some more revvy character would be my choice...

I dont get this "keep up with modern tragic", if i floor it with my 1800kg 110hp family bus, its way faster than 99% of the other cars at the lights. Or maybe people are slower where i live :)

Hejsan!
I have looked at blocket.se and found a couple that looked ok! Is there anywhere else i should look? Because you are right, the prices in Sweden are good!

My daily route is quite short at 8 miles / 12 km each way. It's short enough that i could take the bike, if the car acts up some day. Half of it is on a lonely stretch of a small country road, the other half is through a city. I encounter precisely one light signal and one roundabout, so i don't need much power to keep up with traffic here :lol: I did also find the 2.0 i drove to be spritely enough! There is something to be said for lower powered cars, where you can use their full performance everywhere without getting in serious trouble.

Good call on the performance cam! That might be the happy place for me!

mikseymono wrote:
up to £12k less import of £3k...so £9k.......that will get you a very good example of an S. Over here in France prices are probably double than that of the UK...but then there is no road tax to pay..so everything is up front.

Hang on...just had a little look here https://www.ooyyo.com/denmark/c=CDA31D7 ... 4641.html/

This is probably at least twice the UK price..........had a look elsewhere in Denmark and see prices are similar if not higher than this! So feel your pain......how are the taxes/import duty worked out? Easy to get Danish plates for an import?

Even this top end lovely example will seem like a bargain https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1116460

M

Nice find with that black 924S - hadn't seen that one before, and it's actually quite close to me. Not registered though, but the import tax (or registration tax) has been paid. Might take a closer look at it. But i do also need to sell my current 2013 Giulietta before the Porsche can materialize..

The import/registration tax is a stupid and overly complicated affair. Each imported car is individually evaluated, and the tax is based on the danish market value of a similar car. More factors are involved, but it's not easy to understand. I get my numbers from a database of previously imported cars, where you can see what the tax was, but it only serves as a guide line.

Don’t worry, we will soon have some crazy import and tax system in the UK soon once we crash out of EU with no deal ....... :food: :bang: (that’s my 50/50 emoji so not to be political)

If I read the WTO rules correctly, all new EU cars coming in to the UK will have 10% tariff added compared to today being in the EU if we have no deal Brexit.

Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD
2017 VW Passat Variant GTE Advance - the daily load lugger and mile muncher
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - it builds trees when we drive it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:16 am 
Club Member

Model: 924
Lockguard wrote:

The import/registration tax is a stupid and overly complicated affair. Each imported car is individually evaluated, and the tax is based on the danish market value of a similar car. More factors are involved, but it's not easy to understand. I get my numbers from a database of previously imported cars, where you can see what the tax was, but it only serves as a guide line.

Is the import tax specifically a Danish thing? I looked into this in Sweden and if importing within the EU there are no extra import taxes or anything to pay, other than a small registration fee and obviously the initial inspection for registration. If I bought from the US (or outside the EU) then there would be VAT, customs fees, etc. but none of this within the EU.

This one on Blocket could be good and was priced at 79 000 a few weeks ago: https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Porsche ... ?ca=11&w=3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

Model: 924
EngSwe924 wrote:
Is the import tax specifically a Danish thing? I looked into this in Sweden and if importing within the EU there are no extra import taxes or anything to pay, other than a small registration fee and obviously the initial inspection for registration. If I bought from the US (or outside the EU) then there would be VAT, customs fees, etc. but none of this within the EU.

This one on Blocket could be good and was priced at 79 000 a few weeks ago: https://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Porsche ... ?ca=11&w=3

Yeah, it's only for danes. We have this extra tax that means cars cost pretty much double compared to the rest of Europe.. I absolutely hate it! Older cars aren't affected as much though.

I have been looking at that white one! The seat upholstery isn't my favourite, but it looks really nice! If only someone would hurry up and buy my current car..