The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie looking for guidance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:45 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924
Hello all,
Very new to this so apologies if posted in the wrong place etc.
Basically always fancied a 924 and have read the buyers guide so just wanted to ask the group whether my expectations are realistic.
I’m working on a £5000 budget and want a 924 probably 2L, earlier the better. I have no car maintenance experience so want something that is sorted mechanically but I hope to do/learn basic services etc. Body work and interior doesn’t have to be amazing however I want something structurally sound and rust free (car will be garage stored). The car will be used weekly for very short journeys and the odd longer one so wear and tear will be minimal.
I am based in Derbyshire so the closer the better.
Ideally I would love to get one that has been someone’s treasure and would want theirs to come to a caring home, paperwork etc would be a bonus.
My questions,
Is the £5000 budget realistic?
Where are the best places (other than here) to buy one (never been too sure about eBay etc)?
If anyone is willing to share advice it would be much appreciated
Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Newbie looking for guidance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm 
Regional Officer - The South East

Model: 924 red 1981
£5000 will get you a very nice 2 litre, which is the simplest model and easiest to learn on. The 2litre (or just ‘924’ rather than 924S or 924 turbo), is a great car to learn mechanics on, being from a time mostly before electronics, so you get to fix them with spanners etc. They were made from 1976 to 1985, and were slowly improved through the models life so a 76 one, although looking very similar to an 85, will feel very different to drive and will feel very different to be in.
There was a big upgrade in about 1980, again mostly under the skin, but important things like fully galvanising started then. There are very few pre 1980 924s about and usually they’re bought by folk who really want an early 1970s 924. I’d suggest a post 1980, the later the better up to 1985.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm 
Committee - Forum Manager

Model: '77 and '79
Welcome to the forum :beer:
Various views in here: https://www.porsche924.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=23208

Apart from Ebay, and posts on here, keep an eye on https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/35/924/
Facebook market place seems to be gaining popularity as a place to advertise.

Dont rush, 5K is a healthy budget, and you should be able to find a good NA for that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:33 pm 
Club Member

Thanks for the replies. Very good to hear, thank you.

I have just seen this on gumtree, posted last night. In grey which is my preferred color. If anyone is willing to have a glance at it and tell me their thoughts that would be much appreciated. Obviously at that price I would have some cash to spend.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/1982-porsche-924-2litre-with-mot/1385118715?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:05 pm 
Club Member

Model: 1981 924 na
It has an "interesting" MOT history:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... .158582208

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm 
Club Member

...and done about 1,000 miles in the last15 years, which could be lack of use or a dodgy odometer.(which I notice the advertiser admits to), so mileage could be anything over 100k

2004 Toyota MR2 Roadster Red Edition-Lock down project.
1984 924 N/A Ruby Red Metallic - 924 of the Show, National 2018
1988 924S Guards Red - sold
1986 924S Guards Red - sold
1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#1 - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#2 - sold
1977 924 Martini - sold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm 
Club Member

Model: S1 Turbo
Hard to tell from these pictures, especially if there are any corrosion issues, but looks like its worth taking a look at and asking price seems fair if it is solid, and allows plenty of margin if something breaks in my opinion. No mention of MOT due date that I could see, so that would be my first question. I personally would not buy a car without a very recent MOT, or a pre-MOT - sometimes the seller is happy to have someone interested and are confident enough in the car to do it...

As always, check the oil and coolant from cold to look for mixing issues, make sure 'you' start it from cold, take it for a run and get it hot, make sure it idles and doesn't overheat (fan should kick in). See if it brakes smoothly and stops. Try every switch to find out what doesn't work. Start it from hot. Take a weak magnet e.g. fridge magnet and run it along the sills to look for signs of thick filler. Look inside the wheel arches, sills and underside for signs of repair or corrosion, broken underseal. Check every inch of paint to looks for signs of corrosion. Look at the state of the brake discs, pads, and tyres.

Make a checklist like this and check off everything on it because you might just fall in love and lose your ability to be objective... (wish I'd done that). Factors these issues into your bartering...

That's a start - other people on here might suggest other checks...

:beer:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:52 pm 
Club Member

scm924s wrote:
...and done about 1,000 miles in the last15 years, which could be lack of use or a dodgy odometer.(which I notice the advertiser admits to), so mileage could be anything over 100k

Thanks
He reckons its done about 110,000 miles in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:56 pm 
Club Member

deano wrote:
Hard to tell from these pictures, especially if there are any corrosion issues, but looks like its worth taking a look at and asking price seems fair if it is solid, and allows plenty of margin if something breaks in my opinion. No mention of MOT due date that I could see, so that would be my first question. I personally would not buy a car without a very recent MOT, or a pre-MOT - sometimes the seller is happy to have someone interested and are confident enough in the car to do it...

As always, check the oil and coolant from cold to look for mixing issues, make sure 'you' start it from cold, take it for a run and get it hot, make sure it idles and doesn't overheat (fan should kick in). See if it brakes smoothly and stops. Try every switch to find out what doesn't work. Start it from hot. Take a weak magnet e.g. fridge magnet and run it along the sills to look for signs of thick filler. Look inside the wheel arches, sills and underside for signs of repair or corrosion, broken underseal. Check every inch of paint to looks for signs of corrosion. Look at the state of the brake discs, pads, and tyres.

Make a checklist like this and check off everything on it because you might just fall in love and lose your ability to be objective... (wish I'd done that). Factors these issues into your bartering...

Thanks for that. I will be definitely following that advice and making a list, would far to excited if it looks in nice condition.
MOT is due January and he has only owned it for 3 months. Possibly not looking as good as it did but like you say price leaves some change for work...but not loads of big jobs!
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:09 pm 
Club Member

deano wrote:

Thanks for that. I will be definitely following that advice and making a list, would far to excited if it looks in nice condition.
MOT is due January and he has only owned it for 3 months. Possibly not looking as good as it did but like you say price leaves some change for work...but not loads of big jobs!
Thanks