The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
Forty Years of the Porsche 924 Turbo
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: V8 924?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:38 am 

Model: 924 GT8
Nige - no problem. At some point I will start a proper project thread (will probably just mirror the one I have on TIPEC and (924org forums).

I'll do a youtube search, pretty sure I am the only one to take the car on track as before I got working on it it was in no state to be track driven. But you never know, its been through a few hands since the initial conversion was done.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:35 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924S
Prophead wrote:
Nige - no problem. At some point I will start a proper project thread

Looking forward to that :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:11 pm 

Model: SD1
I can fill in a bit more history on this car but the dates are a bit vague in my head, I have some pictures around of it in various states.

I bought it as a non runner from the guy who did the conversion, the car had been in an accident and he kept it as salvage (never verified this bit as it looked straight).
Over many years he started to fiddle with just about every bit and was making his own door cards with something that looked like Alcatara and had been stapling it over some bits of old kitchen cupboard and had a couple of doors with the handles removed ready to go on.
He was emigrating to Malaysia and just needed to sell the car on.
The back box was allegedly from a Rover 75 V8, spare doors and cards were first into the skip.

The car was basically a string of half finished jobs and many jobs that probably should never even have been started.
Rather than fix the ignition switch he fitted an aircraft style starter to the dashboard.
Many brake hoses were fitted, they looked like Aeroquip but were mostly the wrong length,

I set about making it run, it was fitted with Rover EFI and the bonnet had been carved to fit over all this by a mad man who didnt own a tape measure.
After replacing the worst of the EFI fuel piping it ran fairly well but temp gauge and radiator fan were not working, ditto the screen washers/wipers and the passenger seat had been thrown away because "Race Car" and a second or even third hand harness was in place attached to a home made bar between the C-Pillars where the rear seat belts used to fit.

The tail gate didnt want to shut and some alloy spacers were under the hinges in an attempt to make it line up, when I took the brace bar out from the C pillars the shell relaxed as the brace bar was 15mm shorter than the gap so I concluded the boot wouldnt shut as the bar had actually bent the shell somewhere, flaky paint on the C pillars sort of supported this.

At this point I concluded the car had not been driven in anger and as the brakes were modified by the same person that had hacked the bonnet to bits and possibly twisted the shell with home made race harness there was a strong possibility the brake bias valve would probably try and kill me so I sold it to Beario for a grand less than I paid in the first place but I also only spent a few quid on fuel hose, swings and round abouts.

It did re-kindle my interest in cars and I built a proper double garage and workshop at the bottom of the garden.

It sounded great on the drive, I just got disinterested in it.
The efforts of FingerTight Fred all needed stripping back and throwing away where required as beyond the sound track the only things in its favour were the lack of rust and it is probably the only 1981 924 without a sun cracked dashboard.
It had spent most of the last 15 years in a garage when I sold it.

I am amazed its back on the road, top effort!

I lost £295 on the previous 924 I owned, the bloke that delivered UJF 80X took my silver 924 for the princely sum of a fiver as I could not get the leaky sunroof stink to go away.
It also tried to set itself on fire and selecting reverse needed two hands, I drove it onto his flatbed so the reverse gear and stinky bit would have been a surprise at the other end.