The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 924 advice to noobs, opinions on ownership, etc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:02 pm 

Model: 924S
The 924 is a 2 door, lift hatch coupe from the 80's comparable to the equivalent Mazda RX7, Toyota Celica/Supra, Capri etc. The low slung front end is made possible with it's pop up headlights and to me makes the shape far nicer than say an equivalent Capri of its time. The overall proportions of the 924 are defined by a nicely raked front windscreen angle, thin A pillars and large glass hatch all of which make the silhouette flow so well from front to back. Visually it is a well proportioned cars ie sill height, waist line and overall body height . Overall the shape epitomises the 1980's to me and will never be seen again due to the legislation that dictates no more pop up headlights.

The car has compact and simple proportions un-interrupted by the blistered arches and wings from it's big sister so to me remains the purest of forms from the front engine family of Porsches.

1987 924S
1981 924 2.0 n/a
2016 BMW 640D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayenne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm 
Club Member

Model: Martini
From Car Magazine in the 80s - For: engine, balance Against: Arrogant pricing :lol:

Follow the club on social media
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
DriveTribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:21 pm 
Club Member

Model: See signature
Why do you own a 924?

I'm not a fan of modern boxes on wheels where you cannot tell which manufacturer they came from without trying to find a badge and the driving experience is all rather sterile. Even if I could afford one, modern supercars don't do anything for me as I despise the footballer types who drive them and give them an appalling image. The 924 is a rare sight and as a classic car a pleasure to own.

What do you love about it?

It's a good looking sports coupe, a bit different to the usual run of the mill classics from the 70s/80s and better built than most.

What other classic cars did you consider owning instead?

None at the time I bought my first 924 but I had previous for owning old Jags and Triumphs so I would probably have gone down that route if I'd actually been looking for a classic.

What does the driving experience feel like?

The early NA cars are very much of their time, very retro, relatively basic and not particularly powerful whilst the S feels much more like a modern car being quieter and more refined. I'm looking forward to getting the Turbo on the road but I suspect it will be somewhere between the two in driving experience with the added kick in the pants from the turbo.

What do you consider to be the best 3 things about the design of the car?

The smart coupe design, the pop up headlights and the comfortable driving position.

Why did you choose a 924 n/a or 924 turbo or 924S over the others?

I've got one of each but my personal preference is for the early cars for their retro looks and showability but I prefer the S for daily driving.

What 3 bits of advice would you give to someone who's interested in 924 ownership?

Find the best you can for the money you've got, start with one you can drive straight away rather than a basket case in need of restoration and they need using so get out in it as often as you can.

1977 924 Mars red (without sunroof)
1981 924 Weissach pewter metallic
1981 VW Golf Cabriolet (jointly owned with Glen)
1984 924 Lux white
1986 Rover 216 EFi Vanden Plas (jointly owned with Glen)
1988 924S Le Mans black
1988 924S Le Mans white (Glen's car)
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur
2002 MG ZT+180
2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDTi Estate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 am 

Model: 924 NA
Why do you own a 924?
I was on the look to get a E30, then a friend told at the classic show, "what about a 924, great way to own a Porsche".
After check reliability and maintenance cost, I signed for it. ;-)

Shape, simplicity, low ride, drive-ability.

I doubt I will ever get rid of my 924 to be honest, it is a for life car to me. I would definitely consider owning more classic car but not getting rid off my 924.

924 Turbo, simply feel like I am on a motorbike.
The power and turbo lag is breathtaking, I never though I would be able to afford a car giving me similar sensation as a motorbike.

Simplicity, reliability, affordability.

I have 924 N/A for the "Simplicity, reliability, affordability."
I have 924 Turbo for the "Simplicity, reliability, power."
I will need to try a 924 S.... ;-)

What 3 bits of advice would you give to someone who's interested in 924 ownership?
Join the club, then read the forum, asked question don't be shy. It is what I did and I do not regret it.
It was my first car club I did not know such thing were existing, and I true recommend even for people like me not too social. :scared:

Superfly's fleet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:04 am 

Model: Porsche 924 Lux
richardb wrote:
Hi Folks,
Why do you own a 924?
It was a drunk impulse buy on eBay, I had been looking at both 924s and 944s before that though and they won over other cars because of the shape and price.

It's easy to work on, really fun to drive whether in standard form or modified, cheap to insure and gets rather a lot of attention

944, or a MK2 Golf although I already own other classics along with the 924

Solid handling yet super comfy for long journeys. Dansk exhaust makes the car really come to life if you enjoy the noise, windows down and sunroof out is really nice when the sun is out.

Simplicity of everything yet still refined
Most underbody parts are from non Porsche cars which makes them nice to keep running (very few parts are 'expensive')
It's sporty yet practical with its massive boot for getting loads of stuff in

I chose NA for cost, but wish I had gone for an S or Turbo now as it feels underpowered

Take somebody who knows 924s well when you go to view the car
Do your research, investigate costs of replacement parts (though most are cheap, some can add up and make a 'bargain' less of one)
Spend the most you can on a good car, a 'cheap project' will often be cheap for a reason

And feel free to pose other questions to the membership I may have overlooked!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:57 am 
Committee - Marketing Co-ordinator

Why do you own a 924?

I need a 'classic' in my life, something affordable that I can work on but not just an ornament. I love bikes but I need something that isn't a solitary pursuit so I can take the boss out in it occasionally. Also this is my second 924, the first 20 years ago, I was bitten then and never recovered .

It's compact, individualistic (more so now than ever) , well built and above all beautifully designed externally and from an engineering perspective. It reeks of quality and is a pleasure to climb into every trip.Even though I ferociously 'market' the 924 image for the club, personally I don't care much what Joe public thinks when I drive past them, many of them still don't get it. It makes me very happy and that's enough.

After motorcycles the 924 was my first deliberate 'fun' purchase although back in '94 I was buying it as daily transport too. After a string of Land rovers and a Westfield I came back to the 924 as the only real option for me to meet my criteria of being a classic
that I could tinker with and drive it to France with no worries. I seriously looked at MGBs but it was a minefield plus they don't look as good and have quality issues.

Fulfilling. The NA isn't fast, but it doesn't need to be. It's how you travel down the road not how fast for me. I can get the adrenaline moving on a twisty A road if I want to, the best bit is diving into a bend and powering out the other side The handling is legendary and it will cruise all day at a relaxed 80. . As a famous motoring journalist once said (issue 9 twofour) "driving the 924 makes me feel good"

1. The body shape, particularly the rear 3/4 view from an elevated standpoint (upstairs window!) is just stunning. That slightly arse-high stance enhanced by the line of the rubbing strip was subtly purposeful long before today's ghastly boring moderns adopted the universally scowling baddass 'face' , nose in the ground look I also love the pop up headlights of course - I was aged 8 when 'Goldfinger' came out and was smitten by the gadgets in that DB5!

2. The quirky layout with rear gearbox makes it a different design and engineering proposition and it has a practical function that benefits the driving experience.I also love the mechanical 'feel' of the engine and the whine from that gearbox.

3. The simple, classic interior, pure 80's but it still makes me secretly feel like I'm climbing into the tailored confines of my Spitfire (or ME109). This is not uncommon, for a German car it taps into the Britishness in us all.

I have an NA , so the decision was predominantly cost led. I knew I'd want to be working on this myself and perceived that the sophistication of the S would be expensive. I was also afraid (wrongly as it turns out) that cam belt changes would be horribly expensive. I knew little about the Turbo. In hindsight I'd still go for the NA first, with the Turbo a close second. I really need all three!

1. Join the club, best thing I ever did and the surprise was, the social side is really good. I have made several good friends and that was never my intention :lol: Seriously join the club BEFORE buying, it's essential research to get the right car.

2. Buy the best you can afford, no if's or but's. Unless you have workshop facilities, lots of time and money or masochistic tendencies, a project will deprive you of the driving experience for too long. I learnt from my mistakes with a T140v Bonneville that spent most of it's life with me in bits and after getting 90% of the way to completion sold it without ever having really enjoyed it. Rolling resto's are best.
Also you will end up spending the same in the end, so go for the best possible running driving car with good provenance. Bounce it round the club for views.

3. Whatever drew you to the 924 in the first place, keep that flame burning but take a moment to learn a bit about the car. Meet owners, climb in their cars, get to know them. Don't just rush in with a wide arch, lowered conversion (yawn) in mind until you've understood what these lovely cars are all about. If you still want fat wings at least it's an informed choice then :grin:

Phil

1985 924 NA, Guards Red - Voted 'Best 924 2.0 NA' 2013 & 2015
2006 Audi Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro
2003 2 litre Beetle auto, Cyber Green (Wife's)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 am 
Regional Officer - The South East

Model: 924 red 1981
^^^ Excellent Phil.

Just thinking... this thread has pulled together some really good thoughts and opinions but it can't be seen by new/prospective owners. It wasn't really my original intention, but would it be a good idea to have this visible to noobs?

Maybe even a sticky in the 'Welcome New Owners!' area, along with the 'crash course' and '924-which one' threads?
Or is there too much overlap with those threads?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:04 am 
Committee - Marketing Co-ordinator

richardb wrote:
^^^ Excellent Phil.

Just thinking... this thread has pulled together some really good thoughts and opinions but it can't be seen by new/prospective owners. It wasn't really my original intention, but would it be a good idea to have this visible to noobs?

Maybe even a sticky in the 'Welcome New Owners!' area, along with the 'crash course' and '924-which one' threads?
Or is there too much overlap with those threads?

Cheers Rich, yes excellent idea as I think this thread forms part of that essential research that prospective new owners would benefit from.

Phil

1985 924 NA, Guards Red - Voted 'Best 924 2.0 NA' 2013 & 2015
2006 Audi Avant 2.0 TFSI Quattro
2003 2 litre Beetle auto, Cyber Green (Wife's)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 am 
Club Member

Model: Martini
Like that? :grin:

Follow the club on social media
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
DriveTribe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:33 pm 

Model: 924S
I agree, should definately have a sticky in the noobs section under, "what current club members think about their 924's"

1987 924S
1981 924 2.0 n/a
2016 BMW 640D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayenne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next