The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Porsche 924 advice to noobs, opinions on ownership, etc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 pm 
Committee - Forum Manager

Model: '77 and '79
Tim_E wrote:
Thanks for the thread, it makes interesting reading.

I'm new. In fact I've not even bought a Porsche yet, the reason I am here is that I noticed one in the local car yard. It just kind of caught my eye as I was passing.

The guy wants £900 for it and I though it was a good idea. My research brought me to this forum, I can see that there is a wealth of info and friendly help here.

Thanks, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon!

Tim.

Welcome to the forum Tim :beer:
Nice spot, looks like it hasn't been on the road since 1990, so a bit of recommissioning required!
Certainly come to the right place for any help you may need.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:09 pm 

Model: 924 2.0 n/a
Roo wrote:
Tim_E wrote:
Thanks for the thread, it makes interesting reading.

I'm new. In fact I've not even bought a Porsche yet, the reason I am here is that I noticed one in the local car yard. It just kind of caught my eye as I was passing.

The guy wants £900 for it and I though it was a good idea. My research brought me to this forum, I can see that there is a wealth of info and friendly help here.

Thanks, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon!

Tim.

Welcome to the forum Tim :beer:
Nice spot, looks like it hasn't been on the road since 1990, so a bit of recommissioning required!
Certainly come to the right place for any help you may need.

Thanks! I'm half daunted and weary and half eager to snap it up. And yes it's a nice spot :beer:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 am 
Club Member

Model: 924 S
Quote:
Why do you own a 924?

Because it's old enough to be relatively simple, light and unfiltered, but new enough to meet minimum standards of safety, reliability and durability. It is also a purpose built sports car from the masters of that genre, but one that has a large hatch and doable running costs. They're also conspicuously good value to buy.
Those are all admirable qualities in their own right, but they make the 924 fit my car needs perfectly.

Quote:
What do you love about it?

Most of all, the driving experience.

Quote:
What other classic cars did you consider owning instead?

How long have you got? The 924 was the outcome of decades of researching cars; I've considered everything from a '20s Tatra T12 to a BMW i3, with the 'everything inbetween' mostly made up of Citroëns and Volvos as well as the Mazda MX 5.

Quote:
What does the driving experience feel like?

Like a conversation. It's never quite the same. I have a fair idea of what the car will do, and it's fundamentally trustworthy, but driving it feels as if a complex set of analogue forces get resolved in an elegant way that is unique to that situation.
Unless I goof up, of course ;-)

Quote:
What do you consider to be the best 3 things about the design of the car?

1. How much practicality has been built into a lithe sports car frame by good packaging.
  2. How it manages to combine clear lines, neat proportions and a unadorned, purely functional design language with quite a voluptuous shape.
  3. How it prioritises good handling at sane speeds over everything else.

Quote:
Why did you choose a 924 n/a or 924 turbo or 924S over the others?

I picked the 924S, because I thought it was the best balance between performance and reliability / ease of maintenance. There's also something quite enjoyable about the engine's linear response over a wide rev range, and the noise it makes.

Quote:
What 3 bits of advice would you give to someone who's interested in 924 ownership?

I don't think I can give advice to others yet, but I can say what I've learned from owning a 924S for a couple of months.

1. My relation with the car is more a partnership than a transaction. I can't just ignore it, and it needs looking after. But the satisfaction you get when it pays you back by running right on the right road is all the better for it.
  2. There will always be a job that needs doing.
  3. Even a car that is just 30 years old will throw up interesting questions of preservation: do I get rid of the aftermarket sports exhaust in the name of originality, or do I accept it as part of this particular car's history? Do I keep the wheels clean, but clearly worn, or do I get them to look as they did when new?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm 
Committee - Social Media Co-ordinator

Model: '83 924 / '80 931
Why do you own a 924?
I already owned a 944 and had joined TIPEC, where Jon Mitchell suggested a trackday tour / roadtrip of Europe but in 924 2.0 n/a's because they are easier and cheaper to work on. I bought the car. but the roadtrip never happened, so I then adapted it for track use.

I've since accidentally bought a 924 turbo which even though I haven't driven it yet, I love more than the other two for it's quirky styling and rarity, and it's potential performance to be faster than either of the other two.

Impressively well built (apart from the cheap plastic Audi parts), relatively rust resistant, easy to work on, bit of an underdog in the car scene so it's inconspicuous but still a talking point for real enthusiasts.

MX-5, 944

Planted, very predictable at the limit, immersive at safe speeds, nimble and engaging.

Parts are long lasting and well made, the 2.0 n/a engine is extremely easy to work on and non-interference, surprisingly practical for two people plus lots of luggage.

As above the 2.0 n/a for cheap fun, the turbo for being super special, unusual, and the fastest.

What 3 bits of advice would you give to someone who's interested in 924 ownership?
Join the club, get to some friendly events, and don't let the car sit unused for ages.

'80 924 Turbo unexpected project - now running and rolling restoration
'83 924 "Yin Yang" cheap track car with another member
'01 Vauxhall Combo constantly evolving, modified van for working / camping / band duties

Find the club on Facebook "porsche924oc" and Instagram "924oc"

Computer Problems: At your WITS End? www.witscomputers.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:47 am 
Club Member

Model: 1981 Porsche 924 NA
Why do you own a 924?
I have been a huge Porsche fan for most of my life, and the 924 hit every single point I needed in my first sports car. From what I've seen in the 8 or so months I've owned one, nothing can beat the fun-per-dollar value.

This car is the epitome of late 70's - early 80's design, and I love every last bit of it; the popup headlights, beautiful overall design, and the fact that it is such a severely underappreciated classic just adds to the coolness :cool:

I've always been fond of the 944/928, but I would never say no to a classic American muscle car

My 924 NA was the first sports car I had ever really driven, and it was like a totally different world to me. A well-cared for 924 drives and handles like a dream, but most importantly, it feels like you are truly one with your car, unlike a modern vehicle which feels so sterile by comparison.

- The overall body design is beautiful; it is elegant and refined without looking gaudy or even overly dated
- The various 80's features - popup headlight, the giant bumper pieces, and (on my U.S. version), the giant Porsche reflector that lights up at night (technically an aftermarket part, but I bought mine with it and I cannot imagine it not being there) :cool:
- The handling is often talked about as a big advantage of the 924, and it certainly cannot be understated - nothing feels better in the 924 than tackling a sharp corner with ease

Availability - The 924 was undeservedly eclipsed by the 944 in America, and, as a result, 924s are far fewer here than 944s; to be quite honest, other than my 924 NA, I've never seen another 924 of any kind on the road (I've never actually seen a 924S or Turbo in person either) :sad:

1) Join the Club - If you're going to be working on a 924, you need a group of people who appreciate them and know what they are talking about
2) Find one that is well loved - When I was looking for my first Porsche, I saw plenty that were absolutely beaten into the ground because they were a "budget" Porsche - spend the time to find an example that, while most likely still a project, was still given the respect that the 924 deserves
3) Be willing to get dirty - The 924 is a car that can most certainly be worked on, and no one is going to put in as much time, attention, and care as you will, so make sure before you buy, you're willing to make the appropriate time/money commitment to keep a piece of automotive history on the road where it belongs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 am 

Why do you own a 924?
I have a 944 Turbo and my aunt bought me the book by Brian Long for Christmas saying that's your car on the cover "it's the same colour and all" The car she referred to was a gold 924S. So I read the book and all of a sudden I was looking at the market ! I bought one that was cheap at the time to tinker with

The simplicity and the pure lines - a real design classic !

An XJ40 Jag and an XR4i Sierra

Pure analog - unfiltered communication between man and machine

The clever use of limited space - way it all fits around the transaxle - driving position just like a race car

I chose the NA as it was there ! A turbo or an S if they were there in the same position would have been chosen

Don't listen to the uninformed comments about van engines - get a mate who works for Eurocarpart - do your own maintenance and be prepared to learn !!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 am 
Club Member

Model: 924
Why do you own a 924?
I was looking for a new project, and looked at lots of 70s cars but nothing really floated my boat and fitted my budget until I came across a 924. I have always liked the shape and with a roof and four seats it’s practical (well that’s how I convinced the boss). I was offered an 83 924 na from a forum member which was too good not to buy!

The look, simplicity, and whenever I mention Porsche to my friends they suddenly seem very interested.

Fords, VWs, Triumphs, Fiats. I also own an MG.

I have only had the car for 24 hours, and the two drives have just been gentle as it’s a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment. Il get back to you in a few weeks.

Looks fast sitting on the drive. Feels robust and well put together. And the novelty of pop up headlights is going to last for ages :lol:

The 924 na as I want to do as much work on the car as I can myself. Uncomplicated is good for me.

I’m too new to these cars to comment. But having fully rebuilt and restored a car in my garage learning from scratch I would say don’t be intimidated to have a go at tackling problems yourself, but do your research first, ask questions. The problem or job is never as complex or difficult as it first seems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:16 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924S
Earl Is The Name wrote:
First gear will embarrass the Audi / BMW traffic light race merchants 0-30mph is about 1 second.

Ha ha, I admire your optimism :lol: That's getting on for 1.5g

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm 
Club Member

Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
Earl Is The Name wrote:
924S is faster than a 944 and smaller.

Hmmmm!

Steve - Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:13 pm......think I have lost far too much time in this forum.........
1981 924 Carrera GT/S rep race car - Signal Yellow. Too much to do, to little time and money!
1979 924 Turbo Series 1 - Alpine White & Guards Red. 11yrs owned. 41yrs young so now Tax & MoT exempt
2021 Skoda Superb Sportline Plus iV Hybrid Estate - Pearl Black. Love it!!
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - White. Continues to 'build trees'