The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie with a 924S which may have been a club member's car.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:35 pm 

Model: 924s
Hi All,
Just bought a 924s and likely to have a few questions.
I've had a couple of Boxsters and a 944 in the past and bought the 924 as I wanted something a bit more 'retro', and not anything too modern.

Its a pretty straight 924S in what I'm told is 'smoke silver' - The reg. number is F462UPC.

Most of what it needs seems to be cosmetic. The dash top is sun damaged and cracked and the stitching where the fabric meets the leather on the seats has come adrift in quite a few places.

I'm looking for suppliers for the seat fabric and recommendations for upholsterers in the Surrey / Sussex / Hampshire area.

The car has a 924 Owners Club sticker in it (which led me here). Did it belong to a member? Anyone recognise it?

Post subject: Re: Newbie with a 924S which may have been a club member's c
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:00 pm 
Committee - Events Co-ordinator

Model: 924 N/A
Welcome along. You're definitely in the right place.

Looks a nice car. I don't personally recognise the car, although I'm sure someone will. The distinctive wood dash inserts will trigger someone's memory.

The pinstripe seat fabric is best sourced through Werk924 in Germany. Tell Thomas we sent you his way and he'll see you're okay. You will need to be careful with the fabric choice if you're keeping any part of the current interior- black pinstripe that that almost certainly was, has a couple of variations, depending upon year. Brace yourself, it's pricey.

Regarding upholsters I don't know any locally to you, sorry. The seats aren't particularly tricky in construction though so there's likely to be a good place near you.

Dash tops are often cracked. They can be made better or even replaced with brand new ones. What you decide to do might be dictated by price and time.

Best advice at first is to check belts and water pump on an S. If you've owned a 944 you'll know the consequences of those going wrong. Then get out and drive it. Love it and then spend out on things.

When you join up, hopefully we'll see you at one of our gatherings, when it's possible to do so. The events calendar should start filling up really soon.

Ed

Get in touch about events or with newsletter articles by emailing me:

events@porsche924.co.uk

My ongoing adventures with my car can be found by clicking on:
ARCHIE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:02 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924S
Welcome

That looks like a nice condition late model. You'll find some good advice here (although not from me cos I know so little :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:29 pm 

Nige wrote:
Welcome

That looks like a nice condition late model. You'll find some good advice here (although not from me cos I know so little :lol: )

Thank you - it seems mechanically sound (hopefully!)

Mylando wrote:
The pinstripe seat fabric is best sourced through Werk924 in Germany.

Best advice at first is to check belts and water pump on an S. If you've owned a 944 you'll know the consequences of those going wrong. Then get out and drive it. Love it and then spend out on things.

May thanks for the tips - funnily enough a new water pump, belts and a service kit is already on order and will be fitted before I use it, especially as it seems to have done very few miles over the past 5 years or so.

Looking forward to being able to attend shows again, I've certainly missed them during this pandemic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:37 pm 
Regional Officer - The South East

Model: 924 red 1981
Hello and welcome. There's a few of us in the SE area around Surrey/Sussex/Hampshire, once this Covid rubbish lets us get back to normal we'll aim to all meet up somewhere locally.

I would have encouraged you to come along to the Ace Cafe club meet on Saturday but that's not able to happen, although you would be very welcome to join in our charity fund raising non event "NOT ACE' on Saturday. Details are here:

https://porsche924.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=35473

Cheers
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:01 pm 
Club Member

Welcome, looks a nice 924S.

I like the 924S in that colour. I think it might be Zermatt silver? Has the car still got the options label in the boot? It will list the paint code and the factory build options. You will find it on the rear boot panel, near the spare wheel. You will have to lift the boot carpet up to find it.

Hope to see you at an event this year.

Cheers

Tony

Audi TT Roadster ( the bosses drive )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:48 am 
Club Member

Hi. A great choice. I nearly bought this very car a month ago. It was priced just right. The other reason is it’s got a very similar reg as mine F***UPC. Let me know if you need a hand with any jobs on her?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm 
Club Member

As others have commented - will make a nice late model car and one of the few 160 BHP units around !

Dash top repair. Top option is the Werk924 at c£1k (ouch!) and lots of effort changing it or you could opt for alovely carpet version for the US (Ouch again) or there is another option - Clubautosport in the West Midlands do a fibre glass dash top for around £95+VAT and is a good mid range option - I have one on my '88 S and going to do some insurance valuation pics this week so will make sure I get a decent one of it and post it here. In the meantime check them out on.

www.clubautosport.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 pm 

Daz165 wrote:
or there is another option - Clubautosport in the West Midlands do a fibre glass dash top for around £95+VAT and is a good mid range option - I have one on my '88 S and going to do some insurance valuation pics this week so will make sure I get a decent one of it and post it here. In the meantime check them out on.
http://www.clubautosport.co.uk

Thanks for that, look forward to seeing pictures of the dash top fitted in your car.