The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
The Porsche 924 Owners Club
It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New member can't access technical forum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

Model: 924
Greetings to all. I just bought a 1977 model 924 from the guy who has owned it for the last 38 years. It's surprisingly original and in great condition, but it doesn't run.

I think the fuel pump relay is defective, but I'm not sure as I have absolutely NO experience with Porsches. I thought I'd try out the club to see if the technical forums are worthwhile. I never saw anything saying that trial membership didn't include access to the forums. I'm not a "chatter", but do offer my experience on other forums when I have something worthwhile to contribute, but that 's only on the technical forums. If I can't get to them I see little value in being a member. No offense intended, it's just my opinion.

Post subject: Re: New member can't access technical forum
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 am 
Committee - Treasurer

Model: 2 x S1 Turbo
Welcome along. The technical forums are for paid-up members only, and the statement on the membership page reads "You will gain limited access to our forum for 3 months, and will have the opportunity to ask a couple of 'new owner' technical questions or request buying advice for example, and get a taste of the support that we all offer each other."

Sorry if you feel that wasn't clear, but please ask your question in the New Owner Technical section and we'll do our best to help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 am 

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't see the new-members' technical section. I'll try it out. I've scanned through a few pages of it to see if I could find where someone had already asked my question, but found nothing. Looks interesting, though.

Attachments:
1206191521a.jpg
1206191521a.jpg [ 5.34 MiB | Viewed 3475 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 pm 
Committee Member

Model: '83 924 / '80 931
TJMack wrote:
I think the fuel pump relay is defective, but I'm not sure as I have absolutely NO experience with Porsches.

It's not so much experience with Porsches that you need, but experience with the Bosch K-Jetronic injection system that the 924 used. Many other early fuel injection cars of the 70's and 80's used the same system.

'01 Vauxhall Combo constantly evolving, modified van for working / camping / band duties

Computer Problems: At your WITS End? http://www.witscomputers.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 pm 
Club Member

Nice car!
Paid membership also brings you one of the best magazines you have seen and the chance to get featured.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:32 pm 
Club Member

Model: 1981 924 na
Hi TJMack. The Tech Forums are the Biz! I joined earlier in the year, and have had no end of help. As to the fuel system... I was clueless about this system (probably still am) but by reading through the hundreds of old posts, I at least have an idea of how it all works, and how to fix it, and where to source parts.

Oh, bye the way, Welcome! And whereabouts are you, car looks great, a left-hooker...... and strange (to me) bumpers?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:42 pm 
Club Member

looks to be a US spec car so some of the tech advice may not be helpful as these cars have some dedicated Federal emissions requirements.

2004 Toyota MR2 Roadster Red Edition-Lock down project.
1984 924 N/A Ruby Red Metallic - 924 of the Show, National 2018
1988 924S Guards Red - sold
1986 924S Guards Red - sold
1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#1 - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#2 - sold
1977 924 Martini - sold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:57 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the USA in the state of Florida (as well as confusion :?: ). the bumpers are strange to me as well. They were the result of some stupid idea that a car should be able to withstand a 5 MPH impact without sustaining any damage. The idea looked good on paper, but in reality it resulted in some real abominations.

I've been studying on the K-Jetronics and think I have at least a basic understanding of how it works. There are a few good videos on youtube.com that helped quite a bit. With that limited knowledge I think I've determined that the fuel pump relay is defective. It's strange to me that I can get it to "click" on the bench and close the contacts that start the fuel pump, but in the car it does nothing. I have checked the voltage as well as the grounds ( I guess you guys call it "earths" ) in the sockets where the relay goes and everything looks as it should, but the relay doesn't engage when I put power to it while in the car. Very confusing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm 
Club Member

The fuel pump relay on early cars is as rare as hens teeth, I got a used one from the States some years ago after searching for ages. Later ones do not fit. From memory the early fpr is triggered by a contact operated by movement of the air flap when cranking the car, slow cranking or sticky air flap won't move the flap to operate it. You can bypass the relay by putting a jumper across terminals 87 and 30 of the socket and the pump should run continually, beware this temporary circuit will not be fused, pays to put a fuse in line in the jumper. I assume you have checked the fuse mounted on top of the relay.

2004 Toyota MR2 Roadster Red Edition-Lock down project.
1984 924 N/A Ruby Red Metallic - 924 of the Show, National 2018
1988 924S Guards Red - sold
1986 924S Guards Red - sold
1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#1 - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#2 - sold
1977 924 Martini - sold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm 

SCM924s Thanks for that tip!! That's exactly what was happening. I still don't understand the circuit in the relay, but I'm not an electrical engineer so I guess it doesn't really matter, but I just like to understand how things work.

This is a classic case of trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. I was going on only what I knew from previous experience with relays.

I've cleaned the injectors and they appear to be putting out a nice spray with just a rudimentary visual test. And the fuel metering device appears to be working as well so I'm almost ready to try starting it

I'm learning as I go on this, and enjoying the ride.