The Porsche 924 Owners Club

Dedicated to the Porsche 924
Forty Years of the Porsche 924 Turbo
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My 924 has been 'Scrapped' by the DVLA....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:32 pm 
Club Member

I recall it was silver, can't remember the reg, thought someone down the South West managed to get it legal somehow.

1984 924 N/A RUBY RED METALLIC - 924 of the Show, National 2018
1988 924S Guards Red - sold
1986 924S Guards Red - sold
1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#1 - sold
1980 924 LE MANS#2 - sold
1977 924 Martini - sold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:47 pm 
Club Member

Model: 924S
scm924s wrote:
I recall it was silver, can't remember the reg, thought someone down the South West managed to get it legal somehow.

I recall it well. Yes it was down Portsmouth way as I recall. I had done a provisional deal by phone to buy it but I was suspicious of the grinding on the inner wing in the photos. It was Chris Valentine that made me aware of its questionable history

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:05 pm 
Club Member

Back to the original issue here... Hampshire Police have an active FB page so you could contact them that way. After all, if this isn't down to a simple clerical error it must involve some sort of criminal activity so their Road Policing Unit should be interested in confirming (or not) your car's identity
https://www.facebook.com/HantsPolice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm 
Club Member

Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
Nige wrote:
Back to the original issue here... Hampshire Police have an active FB page so you could contact them that way. After all, if this isn't down to a simple clerical error it must involve some sort of criminal activity so their Road Policing Unit should be interested in confirming (or not) your car's identity

I fear they will not be interested unless there is some concern of a crime being committed. Car identity theft. Fraud. Certainly suggesting a DVLA admin error will not be a reason to investigate

Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD
2017 VW Passat Variant GTE Advance - the daily load lugger and mile muncher
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - it builds trees when we drive it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:29 pm 
Club Member

Carrera RSR wrote:
Nige wrote:

I fear they will not be interested unless there is some concern of a crime being committed. Car identity theft. Fraud. Certainly suggesting a DVLA admin error will not be a reason to investigate

That's how I'm thinking... as DVLA haven't found an obvious error at their end criminal activity is quite possible

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:32 pm 
Club Member

Model: ‘82 n/a
Thank you to everyone who has given me pointers on how to get this issue resolved :smile:

I managed to speak to someone at the DVLA who really wanted to help and after a few phone calls everything was resolved and the car is now taxed and not marked as scrapped.

They also gave me information on the correct form to send in to request the details on who made the initial mistake - It was a failing at the recycling centre that scrapped a car and gave incorrect information to the DVLA.

It's been a stressful few weeks but can now look forward to the ongoing project of making her a good solid daily driver :grin:

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 pm 
Club Member

Oldskool Andy wrote:
Thank you to everyone who has given me pointers on how to get this issue resolved :smile:

I managed to speak to someone at the DVLA who really wanted to help and after a few phone calls everything was resolved and the car is now taxed and not marked as scrapped.

They also gave me information on the correct form to send in to request the details on who made the initial mistake - It was a failing at the recycling centre that scrapped a car and gave incorrect information to the DVLA.

It's been a stressful few weeks but can now look forward to the ongoing project of making her a good solid daily driver :grin:

Andy

Fantastic :beer: :woohoo:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:51 pm 
Club Member

Model: TheOnly Way Is Turbo
:beer:

Omega forged pistons, lightened and balanced bottom end, ARP studs + Cometic MLS HG, Piper fast road cam, K27/26 3257 hybrid turbo, 951 ducted FMIC, Custom intake manifold, Mittelmotor dizzy & cam pulley, Adj boost - dyno’d at 225bhp @ 1.0bar on previous CGT turbo, Engine datalogged and on boost fuel enrichment managed with Zeitronix ZT2 & Phormula KS4 knock sensor, 944 turbo all alloy radiator, Hayward & Scott custom tapered race exhaust, GAZ Gold coilovers, Fuch'ed up, Quaife LSD
2017 VW Passat Variant GTE Advance - the daily load lugger and mile muncher
2015 Nissan Leaf Tekna - it builds trees when we drive it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 am 
Club Member

Model: 924 Turbo
Great news.

What a hassle through no fault of your own.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am 
Club Member

Model: 924
Just to show this isn't a one off issue at the DVLA, when I was selling my N/A last year the eventual buyer requested a new MOT which I had done. Another interested party then asked why the car had no previous MOT history. It turned out the MOT testing station had input a 0 instead of an O (or visa versa) and instead of the database rejecting it, a totally new MOT identity was created and all the old history lost. As I had sold the car I didn't follow that issue any further.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the only problem the sale threw up. I had decided to keep the registration number but when I went on line it wouldn't accept the retention as it said there was no age related plate available to issue so I would have to do the process via the post. As there wasn't enough time to get the V5 back before the buyer collected the car I chose (on advice from the DVLA) to do the retention at the same time as I informed them of the change of ownership. Simples! Except the DVLA the sent a retention certificate to BOTH me and the now owner!
I haven't yet tried to put the number on my 'S' but I'm sure I'm into an interesting experience when I do.

2016 F Pace Italian Racing Red
2012 Mini Paceman Silver (the other half's)